Things To Do with Kids Over Ski Break
Many of you are enjoying ski break at the moment and if you’re not heading to the mountains for the whole week you may be wondering what to do with your charges 24/7.
Here are some ideas to get you started – 10 Things To Do with Kids Over Ski Break
1. Skiing – well this is the obvious one and a day trip to a ski resort for either skiing or sledging makes a great day out if you’re not actually staying in a resort for the whole week. You have the luxury of being able to choose the days you go based on the weather forecast and to decide what activity to you want to indulge in – and again this may vary according to the age of your kids. There are loads of great restaurants up in the mountains too – so why to treat yourself and the kids to a mountain lunch and hopefully they will be content with something simpler when they get back in the evening! Here is a link to some ski resorts close to Zurich that are all do-able in a day.
2. Cross Country Skiing – staying on the theme of skiing you may want to take a look at the local cross-country skiing resorts and try that out with the kids. As well as excellent exercise it’s great fun and when we went last week there were loads of youngsters trying it out. See here for some information and links to cross country skiing resorts.
3. Ice skating – there are loads of ice skating rinks all over Zurich and Switzerland. Some great ones are at the Dolder and there is Oerlikon, Heuried and also the rink at the Sonne Hotel in Küsnacht which is great for the little ones and a lovely place to have a hot chocolate or Glühwein whilst enjoying the view over the lake.
4. Technorama – located in Winterthur Tschnorama is a short drive or train ride from Zurich and can provide endless fun for children (and adults!). The last time we went we were almost the last to leave – and there is something for everyone. For more information please check Technorama.
5. Jucker Farm – whatever the weather and whatever the season there is always something going on at the Jucker Farm, located on the Pfäffikersee not far from Zurich. At the moment they are celebrating the “Straw Festival” from January till May and there’s lots to see and do and a great restaurant with lots of locally produced foods. For more information (in German) see here.
6. Zurich Zoo – there is lots to see at Zurich Zoo and it makes a great day out. Check here for more information.
7. The Kunsthaus – if you’re children are into art – or even if they’re not – it’s a great place to open up their minds to the world of art. There’s so much on display that you might want to choose just one area – but it really is a magnificent museum. What’s even better is that is you go on Wednesdays it’s free! More information here.
8. St Moritz Polo World Cup on 23rd February – something different – horses, glamour and excitement in St Mortiz – perhaps a weekend trip? More info here.
9. Scherenschnitte – exhibition outside Zurich – all about the traditional Swiss craft of ”Scherenschnitt”, making patterns and pictures by cutting paper. It’s on at the SwissNationalMuseum, Zeughausstrasse 5, 6430 Schwyz, until 3rd March, 2014. Cost: Adults CHF 10, children free. For more information please visit the website.
10. Zurich Trip – take a trip to town and why not tire them out by taking the up the 187 steps to the top of the Grossmunster? Not only will they (and you) get a great view of Zurich but afterwards you will all need a reward – so how about a great big “Heisse Schoggi” at Cafe Schober in the Niederdorf?
Have fun and enjoy the Skiferien!
For more ideas on things to do in Zurich why not “subscribe to blog” at the top of the page?