10 Things to Do in Zurich at Easter &
Easter Opening Hours
Updated for 2020!
Everywhere in Zurich there are bunnies and eggs to be seen as the city gears up for Easter. So if you’re staying in town over the Easter break here are some suggestions for things to do with the children.
Shops in Zurich Easter Opening Hours 2020
Shops will be CLOSED* in Zurich on:
– Good Friday or Karfreitag 10th April 2020
– Easter Sunday 12th April 2020 (Shops are always closed on Sunday in any case)
– Monday 13th April 2020 which is is Easter Monday, or Ostermontag.
Selected shops may of course be open, but in general most shops will close. However, on Easter Monday certain shops located outside Zurich in the Mall of Switzerland (under an hour from Zurich) will be open that day.
Slight Changes in Opening Hours:
On Thursday 9th April, Gründonnerstag, shops may close a little earlier.
On Saturday, 11th April shops will be open but also may close a little earlier. Instead of closing at 8pm, many of the department stores will close at 6pm.
If you get caught out the Airport is always open 365 days a year for shopping and so is Zurich Hauptbahnhof and Stadelhofen station!
Chocolate Bunnies and Eggs
You can find great chocolate bunnies and eggs and other chocolate goodies at Honold, Max Chocolatier, Teuscher, St-Jakob, Vollenweider, Läderach, Dieter Meier, Berg und Tal at the Viadukt, Taucherli, Say Chocolate, Sprüngli as well as Lindt and Migros and Coop.
10 Things To Do in Zurich at Eastertime
1. Looking for a very special chocolate egg or bunny? Why not check out the wonderful chocolate specialities that Confiserie Honold has in store for Easter. Take a look here.
2. Trip to the zoo? You can take a trip to Knies Kinderzoo Children’s Zoo in Rapperswil. Find out all the details here.
3. Feeling Artistic? You can make your own “Chocolate Bunny” on 21st and 28th March at Vollenweider’s Atelier in Winterthur. More information (in German) here.
5. Over the holidays if the weather is fine why not go for a hike? There are plenty of hikes in and around Zurich see here for more information. Or take a look this selection of 6 circular hikes near Zurich.
6. Boat Trip? Why not take a boat trip on Lake Zurich for an Easter Monday Cruise and Brunch “Ostermontags Brunch” ?. For more information and to book it see here. For more brunch options check out our brunch list here.
7. Easter Brunch? Or how about visiting the Marriott Hotel for Easter Brunch from 12 – 3pm. Perfect for all the family. Reservations on 44 360 7000 or please click here. Also Confiserie Honold are doing a special Easter Brunch too at both their Rennweg and Herrliberg branches. Don’t forget to reserve in advance on 044 211 52 58 or by email email@example.com You can also check out our Brunch Guide here.
8. Farm Trip? Why not visit the Jucker Farm with the children for a fun day out and a lunch with locally grown foods? Visit the Jucker Farm website here.
9. Wildlife Excursion? Or take a trip to the beautiful wildlife park at Langnau Am Albis and see lots of wild animals in their natural environment. It’s a great day out for all the family.
10. Train Journey? Take a nostalgic Easter Railway journey on one of the Museum Railway trains into the Sihlwald. Find out more here.
Easter Monday Zwängerle
On Easter Monday, you can go along to Rüdenplatz at 10am with a pocketful of 20 Rappen coins and take part in the traditional game of “Zwänzgerle”. It’s a Zurich Easter tradition similar to “egg tapping”. Children hold up hard-boiled eggs and the adults throw 20 Rappen coins (the “‘Zwänzgerli”) at the eggs. If the coin penetrates the shell and sticks in the egg, the adult wins the egg. If they don’t succeed, the child gets to keep the “Zwängerle”.
Easter Monday Shopping at the Mall of Switzerland
If you fancy some shopping on Easter Monday head out in the direction of Lucerne to the Mall of Switzerland which is actually open on Easter Monday.
Have fun whatever you do over Easter!
Articles Which May Interest You