Top Hair Tips from Zurich Hairdresser
The name Niall Wykes has been synonymous with quality hairdressing in Zurich for over 14 years. One of the first English speaking expat hairdressers in the city, Niall quickly established a reputation for his legendary cutting skills and his amazing flair with colour. Niall is passionate about hair and when we caught up with him recently he was kind enough to share his top tips for fabulous looking hair with us below.
Photo of Annabelle magazine front covers all styled by Niall
Subtle Changes to Your Hair Colour Can have Dramatic Effects
“You may have a hair colour you’re very happy with, but often it just needs a little tweak to go from great to amazing” he tells me in his lovely Irish lilt. Niall is a genius with colour but he’s also known for his mastery of the scissors too. He’s a quick worker and knows that most people are under time pressure in Zurich these days but that certainly doesn’t mean any compromise on style. He cuts quickly but with precision.
Niall hails from Ireland but loves the city of Zurich he now calls home. His salon is “klein aber fein” as his Swiss customers would say, and has a fabulously central location just behind Globus Bellevue.
Niall studied hairdressing in London and Ireland with Toni & Guy and Vidal Sassoon and is passionate about making his customers happy with their hair cut. The most important thing he says, is making YOU feel good about your hair.
He’s very popular in expat English speaking circles and keeps himself up to date on all the latest trends from London and LA – and his customers truly seem to love him.
Niall’s Top Ten Tips for Fabulous Hair
- Find a style that suits you and that you can manage well on your own. There’s no point looking fabulous when you leave the salon but a mess the rest of the time. Your hairdresser should be able to advise you on how to look after your style as well as what style suits your face.
- You don’t always have to make big changes for great impact. Subtle changes like highlights or lowlights can really change your look. You may also want to change your hair colour very slightly according to the season.
- Sometimes you get stuck in a rut having the same haircut for years. Take advice from your hairdresser and see how you can freshen up your look! Sometimes it’s a good idea to change hairdresser to get a fresh perspective and a new lease of life to your locks.
- Use good quality products to look after your hair. Never compromise the condition on of your hair. Get into the habit of using an intensive conditioner once a week – it can work wonders for your hair.
- Book in for regular trims every 6 – 8 weeks to keep your hair looking good.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your hairdresser for advice! If you’re planning on a change of style tell your hairdresser in advance so they can allocate time to discuss it with you before they start cutting. Take along 4 or 5 photos so that they can really see what you’re looking to achieve.
- Don’t be frightened of your hairbrush! The good old hairbrush can really help bring out the shine in your hair if you use it regularly.
- Always use appropriate heat protection when using straighters, curling tongs and your hairdryer on high heat. These can all damage your hair and in particular the condition. If possible try not to use your straighteners above 180 degrees.
- If you’re planning a colour change play safe in depth and tone by making gradual changes – and for best results don’t stray too far from your natural base colour.
- Once you’ve found a haircut that flatters you, ask for advice on how to style it for different “looks” eg daytime / evening etc. Your hairdresser can give you suggestions and advice on how to style it.
Niall Wykes salon is located in St Urbangasse 8, 8001 Zurich Tel: 043 268 42 66
All photos courtesy of Niall Wykes. Article written in conjunction with and with the support of Niall Wykes.
For more information on travel and things to do in Zurich and beyond please see our What’s On Page or our Home Page and for regular updates subscribe to our blog. Don’t forget to follow NewInZurich on Instagram , Facebook and Twitter
Articles Which May Be Of Interest