Crema Catalana is a classic Spanish and a great dessert to make at home. Mabel from Tapas & Friends in Zurich sent us this excellent and authentic recipe. Why not try it out yourself? Alternatively if you want to taste it – but don’t have the time – why not pop over to Tapas & Friends in Zurich? They also do a take-away service.
1 litre of milk
6 free range or organic egg yolks
40 grams Maizena
1 cinamon stick
The peel of half organic lemon (very important!)
160 grams of sugar
- Pour the milk into a pan with the cinamon and the lemon peel. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar and the corn flour (Maizena) and set aside in another pan not yet heated.
- Once the milk, cinammon and lemon peel have simmered for 5 minutes, add the mixture to the eggs a little at a time, stirring the whole time with the pan on a medium heat. Continue stirring clockwise until the consistency becomes thicker and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl to cool and cover with cling film. The film needs to touch the cream in order to prevent a build up on the top.
- Once it has cooled down, take off the film and mix it all together again until creamy. Pour into bowls and place in the fridge.
- Before serving sprinkle a little extra sugar on top and caramelize it by using a burner for a few seconds or by placing under a hot grill for a few minutes until the sugar melts and turns brown.
Tapas & Friends are located at Aemtlerstrasse 86, 8003 Zürich
Other dessert recipes you might be interested in: