Have you noticed “G’hacktes mit Hörnli” on the menu at some of your favorite Swiss restaurants in town? We were a little hesitant to try it at first, but we are glad we did! It’s really just a simple meat sauce served with macaroni (hörnli) and apple sauce.
The salty meat sauce mixed with the sweet apple sauce makes for a delicious and hearty meal. It’s a perfect change of pace from the ever popular Italian bolognese sauce, and the best part is how easy it is to make at home! Make the sauce ahead of time and boil some macaroni when you are ready to enjoy. And don’t forget the apple sauce!
G’hacktes mit Hörnli – Swiss Recipe
- 1 lb// 400g ground beef
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 medium celery sticks, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 cup // 250mL red wine
- 1 cup// 250mL beef stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb// 450 grams macaroni
- 2 cups//400 grams apple sauce
- Saute the beef, onions, carrot, celery, and carrot together until the beef is browned and the onions are transparent, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the wine, stock, tomato puree, paprika, and thyme to the pan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until all the vegetables are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate pot, boil water with dash of salt and prepare the macaroni according to the package. Drain the macaroni and portion into bowls.
- Spoon the beef mixture on top of the macaroni. Serve with apple sauce.
- Optional: Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of the beef sauce.
Thanks to Caitlin for this great recipe. Caitlin is a San Francisco native and Swiss chocolate addict. You will most likely find her in the kitchen, the yoga studio, working on her latest craft project, or writing all about it on her blog, teaspoon.
For more easy to make recipes check out the other dishes under our “Recipe” section