Lemon Drizzle Cake
For the cake batter:
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 175g softened butter
- 175g (ideally caster) or granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Grated zest of 3 large lemons
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Pinch of salt
For The Syrup:
- Juice of 2 large lemons
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- 75g granulated sugar
- A sieve
- A roomy mixing bowl
- An electric hand whisk
- A spoon
- A loaf tin & greaseproof paper liner or cake tin& greaseproof paper
- A skewer
- A small saucepan for the syrup
- A board to place the tin on to cool
- An airtight container for storage
- Preheat your oven to 170°C (gas mark 3) and line a cake tin or loaf tin with a greaseproof paper liner.
- Place a sieve over a large mixing bowl and sift in 175g of self-raising flour, pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon of baking powder from a height to add air.
- Add 175g of soft butter, 175g of caster sugar, 3 large eggs, the grated zest of 3 large lemons and the juice of 1 large lemon into the bowl.
- With an electric hand whisk, beat the mixture until it is smooth and creamy, about 1 – 3 minutes.
- Spoon the batter into your cake tin or loaf tin, smoothing the top with the back of the spoon.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes, or until the skewer is clean when inserted n the middle of the cake.
- While the cake is baking, add the juice of 2 large lemons, the zest of 1 large lemon, and both sugars in a small pan to make the syrup. Simply heat very gently until all dissolved and leave to cool.
- Once the cake is done, take it out of the oven and place it on a board.
- Immediately use a skewer to poke holes all over the top of the hot cake.
- Spoon the lemon syrup evenly over the cake so that it soaks in through the holes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the tin.
- After the cake has cooled, remove it from the tin and serve.
- Store any remaining cake in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
The cake is delicious on its own with a cup of tea, but you can also add a dollop of FAGE Total Greek yogurt and serve it as a dessert.
Recipes You May Like