Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
Last weekend we were invited to test out a Winter Picnic courtesy of Krug Champagne and Paul and Lulu convenience foods. We received a cute little hamper with a half bottle of Krug champagne and a cool bag with all the ingredients (excluding some stock cupboard staples) necessary to prepare a Pumpkin and and Sweet Potato soup. Paul and Lulu have been providing healthy meals which you can order online and have delivered in Switzerland Monday to Friday since 2014, and this was the first time we had tried them out. Krug champagne pairs wonderfully with food and adds a little celebratory feel to the proceedings – so since it was the weekend why not add some bubbles?
I know, Winter may not be your normal season for picnics but with a bit of creativity we set up the garden seating with soft throws and took the hamper out. Luckily the sun obligingly shone and we wrapped ourselves up in blankets and scarves and enjoyed the bubbly, sunshine and piping hot soup!
The package we received contained the recipe and everything we needed for the soup (except for the stock, the oil, the cream and seasoning) but I’ve shown below the extra things that I added below. Paul and Lulu also included a small jar of the most delicious truffle flavoured croutons which are definitely a bit too moreish!
1 small pumpkin (equivalent to 200g when chopped)
1 large sweet potato (equivalent to 200g when chopped)
700ml (approx) good vegetable or chicken stock or a stock cube
I added: 1 clove of garlic, 1 medium onion and of course oil to fry the onion plus ground nutmeg, salt and pepper
- Peel the pumpkin, discard the seeds and cut the flesh in to small cubes.
- Peel the sweet potato and the carrots and cut into small cubes.
- Peel the onion, shallot and garlic and cut into small pieces and fry in a little olive oil until soft.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and gently fry for a few minutes then add the stock and leave to cook until soft. Grate a little nutmeg into the mix.
- When the vegetables are cooked, grab a stick blender (or put in a stand alone one), and blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, add a tablespoon of cream and serve piping hot.
- Decorate with Paul and Lulu truffle croutons if you have them!
Pour out a glass of Krug and enjoy your Winter Picnic!
For details of Paul and Lulu Foods see here
Photo courtesy of Paul and Lulu
and for details of Krug Champagne see here.
Photo courtesy of Krug