Sumptuous Strawberry Cake
This is a very easy to make strawberry cake which I tried at a friend’s house the other week. She gave me the recipe and I finally made it last weekend and it went down a treat! Very easy and perfect to make when the shops are brimming with strawberries.
100g soft butter
200g plain white flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
25g brown sugar (white will do)
2 medium eggs
120 ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
450g hulled strawberries, halved
200mls whipping cream to serve (optional) & 1 tsp sugar
- Set oven to 180 and grease a 25cm springform tin.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl with the baking powder and salt.
- Whisk together the butter and 200g sugar together until pale. Next whisk in the egg, milk and vanilla extract.
- Carefully and slowly whisk in the flour to form a batter and pour into the springform tin. Place the springform tin on a baking tray (to avoid drips) and decorate with the halved strawberries all over the top.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the strawberries and place in oven for 10 minutes at 180 before reducing temperature to 170 for a further 20 – 35 minutes depending on your oven until the cake is golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling on a cake rack beat 200ml whipping cream in a bowl with a teaspoon of sugar until it forms soft peaks.
- Serve the cake either warm or cold with the whipped cream and / or ice cream and more strawberries if desired. Enjoy!