I usually make stuffing using a very simple recipe using the following ingredients:
Basic Parley and Onion Turkey Stuffing
- breadcrumbs ( 1 x large loaf of white sliced bread – in Switzerland “toast bread”)
- 2 x onions finely chopped
- 4 bunches of parsley finely chopped
- 1 x large egg yolk to bind
- salt and pepper
- optional 2 x chopped garlic cloves
1. Cut the rinds off the white bread and whizz finely into breadcrumbs and place in bowl.
2. Wash, dry, de-stem and finely chop parsley (quick tip the supermarkets sell packets of ready chopped frozen parsley and these save a huge amount of time. You will need about 3 or 4 bags). Add to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
3. Gently fry chopped onion in the olive oil. Add the chopped garlic and add to the bowl and mix
4. Finally mix it all together with the beaten egg yolk and add salt and pepper before stuffing the bird.
However we recently went to the Marriott Hotel in Zurich for a Turkey Workshop with Executive Chef Thomas Kunz. Thomas gave us a demonstration and showed us how he makes a very special Turkey stuffing that is both rich and delicious. In fact it’s good enough to be eaten on its own! See the recipe below.
Ingredients for Marriott Turkey Stuffing
1 litre of good stock (Thomas used beef stock)
200g Walnuts nuts
200g Macademia nuts
200g dried plums
200g dried apricots
2 spring onions
3 sticks of celery
100 ml red wine
100 ml brandy
10 sprigs of thyme
4 sprigs of chervil
4 sprigs of oregano
8 sprigs of parsley
1. Chop the nuts, fruit and vegetables and break the bread into small pieces.
2. Next caramelise the nuts by melting the sugar in the pan and then stirring the nuts all round until glazed but not burnt. Deglaze the pan with red wine and put the nuts aside.
3. Gently fry the he remaining fruit and vegetables in the olive oil. Add the herbs and deglaze the pan with brandy.
4. Finally place everything in one great big bowl – the nuts, vegetables, fruits, the chopped herbs and bread. Add the stock and mixed it all together. Leave it for a couple of hours to stand before stuffing the bird.
The Marriott Hotel Zurich also offers a “Turkey To Go Service” which allows you to have a ready cooked turkey beautifully for you to serve at home to your guests and this service is available until 24th December. Find out more here.
More Recipes You May Like